Departments may offer to pay moving expenses as incentive during the hiring process for a faculty or administrative position. Please see Policy 335 - Relocation Assistance. It is up to the department to negotiate an amount and cover agreed-upon cost. See also Moving Expenses on the Controller's page.
A payment made directly to a commercial moving company is non-taxable to the employee. Utah State University has a contract with Bailey's Moving & Storage who is the agent for Allied Van Lines.
TO PAY THE MOVING COMPANY DIRECTLY:
1. The sponsoring department initiates the process by contacting Robert Kekauoha in Purchasing and Contract Services at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible with the following information:
- The name of the person moving
- The city and state of origin
- The city and state of destination
- Phone number and e-mail address of the new employee
- Anticipated date of the move
- Any dollar limits
2. After the department creates a requisition, Purchasing & Contract Services notifies the moving company about the proposed move.
3. The moving company contacts the new employee.
4. The dollar estimate comes to the buyer in Purchasing & Contract Services who then notifies the requesting department.
5. After the department gives its approval of the dollar estimate, a Purchase Order is placed with the moving company.