Section 48: Laboratory Animals
(1) Utah State University Policy 534, Animal Care and Use, governs the use of animals in the conduct of teaching, research, and outreach activities at USU.
(2) The purchase of laboratory research animals (including mice, rats, rabbits, hamsters, and others as needed) is coordinated with the Manager of the Lab Animal Research Center (LARC), and under the oversight of the Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies. Utah State University Policy 534, Animal Care and Use, governs the use of animals in the conduct of teaching, research, and outreach activities at USU.
(3) The LARC houses the animals and provides for their destruction when the needed experiments have run their course.
(4) All procurement of these animals does require prior approval from the manager of the LARC. Before any animals brought on campus for research purposes, departments must clear the purchase with the Lab Animal Research Center Manager.
(5) Purchasing and Contract Services conducts a yearly, or as needed, Request for Quotation/BID for the purchase of mice, rats, hamsters, etc. This contract can be used continuously throughout the year to procure required lab animals.
(6) Lab animals cannot be purchased using the P-Card due to regulatory issues.